Organization and Team
Public Welfare Foundation is a private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to advance justice and opportunity for people in need. In its 75-year history, the Foundation has made over 5,700 grants totaling more than $700 million. The Foundation makes grants nationwide and focuses its grant-making in difficult, and often overlooked, social justice areas where it believes it can serve as a catalyst for reform. The Foundation’s grantmaking honors its core values of racial equity, economic well-being, and fundamental fairness for all. Public Welfare Foundation seeks to catalyze a transformative approach to justice in the United States that is community-led, restorative, and racially just by supporting the creation and implementation of an alternative vision of justice that is rooted in communities.
The Foundation boasts a small but highly dedicated team that works with passion, humility, and tenacity in light of the urgency required to advance its mission. Foundation team members take their work seriously, operate with honesty and transparency, and are quick to seize opportunities to learn and grow their skills. The Foundation expects hard work but also encourages team members to practice healthy work-life boundaries.
Public Welfare Foundation is seeking an Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to its program team. This will include booking travel, arranging meetings, preparing and submitting expense reports, and helping prepare program materials for internal use and for the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
This position is based at the Foundation’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. It will initially require working full-time in the Foundation’s offices but will transition to a hybrid arrangement (two days in the office; three days remote each week) after an initial orientation period.
- Assists program staff with coordination, communication, and correspondence with other foundations, grantees, and other organizations. Schedules meetings, appointments, and calls for program staff.
- Assists Program Directors during events and meetings by taking notes and other programmatic support. On occasion, attends events and sits in on conference calls for the Program Directors, and report back on substantive matters.
- Supports program staff by completing travel and other expense reports; tracking reimbursements; arranging and preparing for site visits and other travel by program staff, as well as arranging travel for outside persons sponsored by the Foundation; and performing other clerical duties such as photocopying, scanning, and maintaining program files.
- Assists Program Directors and the Events Manager in organizing logistics for meetings, conferences, and workshops sponsored by PWF. This may include coordinating dates, overseeing correspondence with participants, ordering catering and other supplies, crafting and circulating agendas, providing technology support for virtual events, and notetaking.
- On occasion supports program staff by conducting research and information searches on specific queries and preparing brief memos and reports.
- Administers mailroom activities: maintaining supplies, liaison with USPS, FedEx, etc., sorting and delivering incoming mail internally, and overseeing the processing of outgoing mail.
- Independently orders routine supplies and other non-capital items, ensuring adequate supplies of each are on-hand so the Foundation’s office operations are conducted with minimal interruption.
- Assists with Board of Directors meetings by organizing program materials and other meeting preparation as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience considered in lieu of advanced degree.
- Prior experience in office setting desired.
- Strong administrative support skills; proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office suite); professional telephone manner; knowledge of basic office equipment. Excellent written and oral communications skills; reliability; excellent attention to detail.
- Solid judgment; critical thinking skills; ability to work as a member of a team; positive attitude; ability to handle multiple tasks and work for several people; highly organized; interest in issues of racial and social justice. Demonstrates professionalism and emotional maturity.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary range of $58,000 to $63,000 and robust benefits including medical, dental, vision, and retirement. More details can be provided upon request.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Welfare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. Employment opportunities at the Public Welfare Foundation are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law. Furthermore, applicants who have been impacted by the criminal justice system are encouraged to apply.