The Public Welfare Foundation, a private, national grantmaking foundation with assets of approximately $500 million based in Washington, DC, is seeking an Executive Assistant.
For more than seventy years, Public Welfare Foundation has supported efforts to advance justice and opportunity for people in need. Today, our efforts focus on catalyzing a transformative approach to justice that is community-led, restorative, and racially just through investments in criminal justice and youth justice reforms. These efforts honor the Foundation’s core values of racial equity, economic well-being and fundamental fairness for all. With assets of over $500 million, Public Welfare Foundation makes grants nationwide and focuses its grantmaking in some difficult, and often overlooked, social justice areas where it believes it can serve as a catalyst for reform.
About the Position:
The Executive Assistant provides essential administrative and clerical support to the Foundation’s President & CEO, its Vice President of Programs, and its Chief Financial and Administrative Officer.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serves as primary contact and support person for each of the President & CEO, the Vice President of Programs, and the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer. Oversees schedule, drafts correspondence, conducts internet research, arranges travel, handles and routes phone calls and correspondence as needed, and maintains files.
- Completes travel and other expense reports; tracks reimbursements; and performs other clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing, and maintaining files.
- Conducts research and information searches in areas requested by supervisors.
- Provides primary coverage for lobby host breaks, and phones including managing the automated attendant system.
- Administers mailroom activities: maintaining supplies, liaison with USPS, FedEx, etc., sorting and delivering incoming mail and faxes internally, and overseeing the processing of outgoing mail.
- Independently orders routine supplies and other non-capital items, ensuring adequate supplies of each are on-hand so the Foundation’s office operations are conducted with minimal interruption.
- Works closely with the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer in acquiring capital assets, where possible. Functions as point of contact for office equipment vendors and service technicians. Troubleshoots operational issues and ensures that there is minimal downtime for photocopiers and similar shared office equipment.
- Assists in oversight of annual performance review process for the Foundation, including assuring performance evaluations are received from supervisors for all employees and filing completed performance evaluations.
- Supports annual records retention, review, and destruction process.
Additional skills and qualities we seek in an ideal candidate are:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred. Secondary education and experience considered in lieu of advanced degree.
- Work experience: At least four years of administrative experience which includes supporting a senior-level manager; demonstrated attention to accuracy and detail; experience with travel and meeting arrangements, event planning and logistics, and answering and screening phone calls.
- Skills: Strong administrative skills; excellent written and oral communications skills; experience with web site content management software; able to exercise discretion; proficient with using the internet, MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook, database software and phone systems; experience in setting priorities and balancing a diverse workload; demonstrated reliability; attention to detail including composing, typing, and proofing materials.
- Capabilities: Solid judgment; critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; ability to handle multiple tasks and work with several individuals; highly organized; professional demeanor, congeniality and tact; interest in social welfare issues desirable.
- Conditions: Able to work late to complete time-sensitive tasks.
Public Welfare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer with competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Diversity and equal opportunity employment reflect the core values of the Public Welfare Foundation. Employment opportunities at the Public Welfare Foundation are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Furthermore, applicants who have been impacted by the criminal justice system may apply.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email only: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2021 PWF 2021 Executive Assistant” in the subject line.
The deadline for submitting applications is Monday, March 1, 2021.