ORGANIZATION AND TEAM
Public Welfare Foundation is a private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to advance justice and opportunity for people in need. In its 75-year history, the Foundation has made over 5,700 grants totaling more than $700 million. The Foundation makes grants nationwide and focuses its grant-making in difficult, and often overlooked, social justice areas where it believes it can serve as a catalyst for reform. The Foundation’s grantmaking honors its core values of racial equity, economic well-being, and fundamental fairness for all. Public Welfare Foundation seeks to catalyze a transformative approach to justice in the United States that is community-led, restorative, and racially just by supporting the creation and implementation of an alternative vision of justice that is rooted in communities.
The Foundation boasts a small but highly dedicated team that works with passion, humility, and tenacity in light of the urgency required to advance its mission. Foundation team members take their work seriously, operate with honesty and transparency, and are quick to seize opportunities to learn and grow their skills. The Foundation expects hard work but also encourages team members to practice healthy work-life boundaries.
To learn more about Public Welfare Foundation, please visit www.publicwelfare.org.
Public Welfare Foundation is seeking an Executive Assistant to provide administrative support to its President & CEO and its Director of Communications. The Executive Assistant will also serve as the staff liaison to the Foundation’s Board of Directors and, among other responsibilities, maintain the Foundation’s website.
This position is based at the Foundation’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. It will initially require working full-time in the Foundation’s offices but will transition to a hybrid arrangement (three days in the office; two days remote) after an initial orientation period.
Executive Assistant to the President and Director of Communications Overview, cont.
- Serves as primary contact and support person for the offices of the President & CEO and the Director of Communications. Oversees their schedules, drafts correspondence, conducts internet research, manages travel, handles and routes phone calls and correspondence as needed, and maintains files. Manages logistics for events as requested in collaboration with the Foundation’s Events Manager.
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Foundation’s Board of Directors and Board Committees, assisting with Board member travel and accommodation arrangements, processing, and monitoring trustee-initiated grants, organizing the logistics of Board meetings, including materials preparation, special events, and providing other support as needed. Plans and manages logistics for large off-site meetings.
- Produces Audit Committee minutes under the guidance of the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer and Board and Governance Committee minutes under the guidance of the President & CEO and distributes them once approved. Maintains and updates the Foundation’s official documents, minutes of Board and Committee meetings, and compiles and maintains Board books including orientation books for new Directors.
- Updates/edits the content of the Foundation’s website, including drafting and undertaking research for web stories. Maintains and builds email lists as needed and monitors web statistics. Maintains and updates branded material for Foundation’s written products.
- Manages staff learning activities. Coordinates with other colleagues to design a monthly event series that facilitates shared learning and team building. Prepares agenda for and organizes and prepares materials for monthly team meetings. Conducts select research on emerging issues under review by the program team. Drafts special opportunity and presidential discretionary proposals and staff summaries.
- Provides backup to other administrative staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College Degree or commensurate experience.
- At least four years of administrative experience including supporting a senior- level executive; demonstrated attention to accuracy and detail; experience handling travel and meeting arrangements, event planning and logistics, and answering and screening phone calls.
- Strong administrative skills; excellent written and oral communications skills; experience with website content management and social networking tools; able to exercise discretion; proficient with the internet, basic HTML, MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook, database software, and phone systems; experience in setting priorities and balancing a diverse workload; demonstrated reliability; attention to detail including composing, typing, and proofing materials.
- Solid judgment; critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; ability to handle multiple tasks and work with several individuals including Board members; highly organized; professional demeanor, congeniality, and tact; interest in social welfare issues desirable.
- Able to work late to complete time-sensitive tasks.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range of $90,000 to $105,000 and robust benefits including medical, dental, vision, and retirement. More details can be provided upon request.
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Welfare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. Employment opportunities at the Public Welfare Foundation are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law. Furthermore, applicants who have been impacted by the criminal justice system are encouraged to apply.