The Public Welfare Foundation, a private, national grantmaking foundation with assets of approximately $500 million based in Washington, DC, is seeking an Executive Assistant.
The Public Welfare Foundation supports efforts to advance justice and opportunity for people in need. These efforts honor the Foundation’s core values of racial equity, economic well-being and fundamental fairness for all. The Foundation looks for strategic points where its funds can make a significant difference and improve lives through policy and system reform that results in transformative change. In its 70-year history, the Foundation has distributed more than $570 million in grants to more than 4,800 organizations. With current assets of approximately $500 million, Public Welfare makes grants nationwide and focuses its grant making in some difficult, and often overlooked, social justice areas where it believes it can serve as a catalyst for reform. Its main programs are Criminal Justice, Youth Justice, and Workers’ Rights.
About the Position:
The Executive Assistant provides essential administrative support to the program team and operations support to the organization.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists program staff with coordination, communication, and correspondence with other foundations, grantees, and outside organizations. Schedules meetings, appointments, and calls for program staff.
- Assist program directors during events and meetings by taking notes and other programmatic support. On occasion, attend events and sit-in on conference calls for the program directors, and report back on substantive matters.
- Supports program staff completing travel and other expense reports; tracking reimbursements; arranging and preparing for site visits and other travel by program staff, as well as arranging travel for outside persons sponsored by the Foundation; and performing other clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing and maintaining program files.
- Assists Program Directors and the Events Manager in organizing logistics for meetings, conferences, and workshops sponsored by PWF.
- On occasion supports program staff by conducting research and information searches on specific queries;
- Provides primary coverage for lobby host breaks, and phones including managing the automated attendant system.
- Administers mailroom activities: maintaining supplies, liaison with USPS, FedEx, etc., sorting and delivering incoming mail and faxes internally, and overseeing the processing of outgoing mail.
- Independently orders routine supplies and other non-capital items, ensuring adequate supplies of each are on-hand so the Foundation’s office operations are conducted with minimal interruption.
- Works closely with the Director of Administration in acquiring capital assets, where possible. Functions as point of contact for office equipment vendors and service technicians. Troubleshoots operational issues and ensures that there is minimal downtime for all equipment.
- Assists with Board of Directors and other meetings as needed with other administrative staff.
- Supports the Director of Administration in areas of office operations, including record retention and destruction
Additional skills and qualities we seek in an ideal candidate are:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred. Secondary education and experience considered in lieu of advanced degree.
- Work experience: One to two years of experience providing administrative support to a team, preferably in a non-profit setting; experience answering and screening phone calls, with attention to accuracy and detail; experience with travel and meeting arrangements.
- Skills: Strong administrative support skills; proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office suite); professional telephone manner; knowledge of basic office equipment. Excellent written and oral communications skills; demonstrated reliability; attention to detail.
- Capabilities: Solid judgment; critical thinking skills; ability to work as a member of a team; ability to handle multiple tasks and work for several people; highly organized; interest in issues of social justice desirable. Demonstrates professionalism and emotional maturity in the coordination of schedules to ensure all responsibilities (e.g. answering phones, processing and delivering mail, relieving lobby host, etc.) are met in his/her own absence or in the absence of another administrative staff person.
We are an equal opportunity employer with competitive salary and excellent benefits. Diversity and equal opportunity employment reflect the core values of the Public Welfare Foundation. Employment opportunities at the Public Welfare Foundation are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Furthermore, applicants who have been impacted by the criminal justice system may apply.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email only: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “PWF 2019 Executive Assistant-[your last name]” in the subject line.
The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, May 10, 2019.