ORGANIZATION AND TEAM
Public Welfare Foundation is a private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to advance justice and opportunity for people in need. In its 75-year history, the Foundation has made over 5,700 grants totaling more than $700 million. The Foundation makes grants nationwide and focuses its grant making in difficult, and often overlooked, social justice areas where it believes it can serve as a catalyst for reform. The Foundation’s grantmaking honors its core values of racial equity, economic well-being, and fundamental fairness for all. Public Welfare Foundation seeks to catalyze a transformative approach to justice in the United States that is community-led, restorative, and racially just by supporting the creation and implementation of an alternative vision of justice that is rooted in communities.
The Foundation boasts a small but highly dedicated team that works with passion, humility, and tenacity in light of the urgency required to advance its mission. Foundation team members take their work seriously, operate with honesty and transparency, and are quick to seize opportunities to learn and grow their skills. The Foundation expects hard work but also encourages team members to practice healthy work-life boundaries.
Public Welfare Foundation is seeking a Program Analyst who will report to the Vice President of Programs. The Program Analyst (PA) provides support to the Program Directors, the Vice President of Programs, and the President & CEO on all matters related to the programmatic activities of the foundation. The PA also works closely with the Grants Manager to assure prospective grants are ready for payment.
This position is based at the Foundation’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. It will initially require working full-time in the Foundation’s offices but will transition to a hybrid arrangement after an initial orientation period.
The PA regularly performs a combination of the following tasks:
- Provides support to the program team through various tasks including research, writing, editing, preparation of meeting materials, participating in calls and meetings with grantees and prospective grantees, and collecting and analyzing data.
- Works with program team to coordinate assistance to Foundation grantees and other partners, including collaborating on solutions for grantee challenges and proactively identifying emergent issues and trends in the Foundation’s focus field(s) for further exploration and investment.
- Reviews interim and final grantee reports, and assesses other indicators of progress, to bolster learning about the impact of grantmaking at the Foundation.
- Drafts initial proposal summaries for program staff to be used internally for review by the Vice President of Programs, the President & CEO, and the board of directors.
- Attends funder briefings, professional meetings, and conferences on behalf of the Foundation. Produces summary of meetings for the program team.
- Helps plan, design, and organize program meetings, conferences, events, and other activities to support the Foundation’s programmatic goals.
- Prepares program materials for board meetings, including grantee updates and research on/compilation of relevant news clippings and other materials as assigned.
- Contributes to specific special projects in support of the Foundation’s agenda and goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree in a relevant field.
- Commitment to Social Justice Issues. Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues as shown by undergraduate course work or volunteer or work experience. Demonstrated commitment to issues relating to juvenile justice, criminal justice, or people directly impacted by the legal system preferred.
- Work experience: Work experience including facilitating meetings and/or workshops, coordinating projects, and writing for internal or external audiences in the non-profit sector strongly preferred.
- Skills: Excellent writing, research/inquiry, and verbal communications skills are essential. Project management experience and ability to track multiple competing deadlines and priorities across a range of topics strongly preferred. Basic computer skills and literacy including word processing and spreadsheets are also required.
- Capabilities: Excellent capacity for analysis and critical thinking, fostering teamwork, and high reliability for completing assigned work on time. Ability to work independently and across several program areas with ease and demonstrate good organizational skills, good humor, flexibility, and maturity.
- Conditions: Ability to travel up to 5% of time.
This position description is intended to serve as a summary of the general purpose and essential functions of this position. It may change as circumstances warrant and may include other duties deemed necessary by management.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range of $74,000 to $80,000 and robust benefits including medical, dental, vision, and retirement. More details can be provided upon request.
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Welfare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. Employment opportunities at the Public Welfare Foundation are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law. Furthermore, applicants who have been impacted by the criminal justice system are encouraged to apply.