The Public Welfare Foundation has a two-step application process that includes both a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) and a full proposal. We invite full proposals after reviewing letters of inquiry. We only consider full proposals we have invited that fit within the program guidelines and available resources.
Current focus areas include:
- Organizations developing innovative, transformative approaches to youth and adult criminal justice reform in: Oklahoma; Michigan; Georgia; Colorado; Louisiana; Jackson, Mississippi; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Washington, DC.
- Organizations and projects focused on investing in community-based solutions that reduce the over-reliance on mass incarceration
- Reframing the narrative and fostering greater transparency and urgency around the U.S. criminal justice system through storytelling, journalism and other targeted efforts.
For Fiscal Year 2023, in addition to our core strategies listed above, Public Welfare is exploring investments in the following areas:
- Organizations and projects with a focus on dismantling the incarceration of women and women-aligned people.
- Organizations, projects, or special initiatives with a focus on reducing harm and violence using community-centered interventions.
- Organizations or projects with a focus on supporting the development of formerly incarcerated and justice-impacted leaders in the field.
Our Letter of Inquiry process is now closed. Please check back late Fall 2023 for more information.
Letter of Inquiry Content Guide
Each letter of inquiry should include the following information:
- The organization’s official name and contact information
- A proposal title
- Total organization budget
- Request amount
- A narrative description (4,500 characters or less) of your organization and work proposed, which should include the following: a) your organization’s mission and work; b) the problem(s) to be addressed by the proposal; c) the work to be performed; and d) the specific goals sought.
Please email email@example.com for any other questions about applying that are not answered here.